The Coniston 14 is probably the most beautiful road race in Britain. Each year it attracts some 1600 runners and has a reputation for being one of the best organised small races in the country.
The race is Coniston's largest annual community event and is organised by a small committee from the village. Each year over £20,000 is raised from the Race and this is donated to about 30 local charities and clubs. Last year £5,000 was raised for St. Mary's Hospice, Ulverston. A social evening is organised in early summer when cheques are presented to these organisations.
Annual Charity Recipients
- St Mary's Hospice
- Ulverston Mind
- Coniston Mountain Rescue
- Coniston First Responders
- Coniston Parent and Toddlers
- Coniston football club
- Coniston Cricket club
- Coniston Primary school
- John Ruskin School
...and many other local organisations.
- Turn down Lake Road and continue past school buildings to park on playing fields.
- Parking fee is £3, please have correct money ready.
- For runners' safety no exit is possible for cars before 2pm. (Road Closed)
- If you need to leave early use village centre car parks.
- N.B Coaches should use the Information Centre Car Park.
Facilities at John Ruskin School.
- No need to check in.
- Entry enquiries in school hall.
- Changing and showering facilities.
- Staffed security room.
- Refreshments prepared by the school PTA.
- Photos of past events.
- Live music on site.
Only UKA affiliated runners are covered by UKA insurance. Other runners should pay the non-club registration fee to be insured.